Ontario was one of the first provinces in Canada to regulate the profession of physiotherapy in 1924 under the Drugless Practitioner’s Act. On December 31, 1993, with the proclamation of the Regulated Health Professions Act (RHPA) and the Physiotherapy Act, physiotherapists were recognized by the provincial government as one of a restricted number of self-governing health care professions.
Incorporated in 1964, OPA was the first provincial branch of the Canadian Physiotherapy Association (CPA).
From its inception, OPA has been a strong voice for the profession reflecting the commitment of physiotherapists to work together though a united professional association. Over the years membership has grown to include the full spectrum of physiotherapy service providers and included students and physiotherapist assistants.