Careers in Physiotherapy2018-06-21T14:30:57-04:00


Five universities in Ontario offer a professional master’s degree in
physiotherapy. All graduating physiotherapy students must pass a national
exam, called the Physiotherapy Competency Examination (PCE) to
enter professional practice.

As part of their education, physiotherapy students complete courses in areas such as anatomy, physiology, pathology, and biomechanics. Physiotherapy programs balance classroom and hands-on learning by offering lectures, labs, small group work, and clinical placements.

Physiotherapists are committed to lifelong learning and update their skills and knowledge by taking continuing education courses after they graduate from physiotherapy school.



Read these stories from former physiotherapy students about why they chose to pursue a career in physiotherapy.

There are 14 Canadian universities that offer programs in physiotherapy:


University of Toronto
Department of Physical Therapy

University of Western Ontario
Department of Physical Therapy

Queen’s University
Physical Therapy Program

McMaster University (in collaboration with Lakehead University)
School of Rehabilitation Sciences

Université d’Ottawa
School of Rehabilitation Sciences



University of British Columbia
Department of Physical Therapy

Faculty of Medicine

University of Alberta
Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine

University of Saskatchewan
School of Physical Therapy

University of Manitoba
School of Medical Rehabilitation

Université de Sherbrooke
École de réadaptation

McGill University

School of Physical and Occupational Therapy

Université de Montréal
École de réadaptation

Université Laval
Département de physiothérapie

Dalhousie University
School of Physiotherapy



All practicing physiotherapists in Ontario are required to have a valid certificate of registration from the College of Physiotherapists of Ontario. Without this, individuals are not permitted to use the title of physiotherapist or practice as a physiotherapist in Ontario.

Verify the registration of a physiotherapist in Ontario.

Internationally Educated Physiotherapists

If you have been educated outside of Canada and wish to practice as a physiotherapist in Ontario contact the Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators. The Alliance is responsible for administering the Physiotherapy Competency Examination (PCE) as well as evaluating the education and qualifications of internationally educated physiotherapists.

Physiotherapists who wish to practice in Ontario must register with the College of Physiotherapists of Ontario. Read about registering with the College.

Questions about practicing in Ontario? Contact OPA at


The University of Toronto Department of Physical Therapy and the Ontario Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration are in partnership to offer internationally trained physiotherapists the opportunity to bridge their qualifications to the Canadian qualifications.

Read the Guide to Practice in Canada