Find out when this course is next offered. Sign up now to receive notifications.
Wound Care Principles and Assessment is an in-person workshop that builds on the Introduction to Wound Care Management course. Participants will have an opportunity to develop the knowledge, skill and judgement needed for foundational wound care practices. There will be an assessment of practical skills and knowledge at the end of the workshop. including proper aseptic technique, universal precautions and dressing, packing, probing and cleansing a wound.
What participants will learn:
Participants of this workshop will:
- Use cases and clinical scenarios to consolidate knowledge of wound care principles gained from the online modules and allow participants to develop an integrated wound care plan.
- Use research, evidence and critical thinking to select interventions that are likely to improve healing outcomes.
- Experience different categories of wound dressings and understand their role in managing the local wound environment.
- Select and apply valid and reliable wound assessment tools to identify wound infection, describe wound status, identify wound infection, and evaluate the effectiveness of wound treatments.
- Demonstrate on realistic tissue models, application of wound care techniques including packing, probing, irrigation, etc. using universal precautions and good aseptic technique.
Who should take this course:
Wound Care Principles and Assessment is open to physiotherapists and other healthcare professionals and students interested in consolidating their knowledge and practice foundational skills needed to assess and treat people with chronic wounds. Prior knowledge of wound care principles similar to those provided in the Introduction of Wound Care course (see above) is strongly recommended.
Health care professionals including Physiotherapists working across the health care system in all practice environments would find this program applicable.
It is expected that after completing this course and the Introduction to Wound Care Management for Physiotherapists that participants will have acquired the necessary knowledge, practical skills, and competencies to be in a position to treat wounds. Refer to your regulatory College for any requirements, if applicable, related to wound care practice in your jurisdiction.